About the VGFOA & Radford University GNAC Certificate Program:
Virginia Government Finance Officers' Association (VGFOA) certification program provides training in many job-related areas and support for those wishing to pursue the national Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) designation. (See the Calendar for scheduled courses).
Purpose of the Certificate Program
- Provide training in the areas of accounting, budgeting, cash management, debt, administration, internal controls, Virginia law and other topics pertinent to state and local governments.
- Member of the Virginia Government Finance Officers Association (VGFOA). All VGFOA Membership types shall be eligible to participate.
- Complete and pass the related exams of the eight core courses
- Complete and pass the related exam of two of the elective courses
- Complete the ten courses within a seven-year period unless an extension of time has been requested and granted by the Chairperson of the Education Committee
- Waivers for certain classes are noted below
- Intermediate Governmental Accounting (1)
- Advanced Governmental Accounting (1)
- Internal Controls, Auditing and Fraud (1)
- Operating and Capital Budgeting (3)
- Retirement and Benefits, Risk Management and Procurement (5)
- Virginia Government and Law
- * Debt Management for Public Finance Officers (4) or
- * Issuing Public Debt (4)
- *Short Term Investments (2) or
- *Cash Management and Banking (2)
*Note: Either class can count as a core class or as an elective, but 1 of the 2 classes must be completed for the core courses requirements.*
Numbers in parenthesis indicate a waiver is available for this course.
A number of courses are now offered on-line through Radford University. Visit the Calendar for the current list of course offerings.
- *Cash Management and Banking
- *Short Term Investments
- * Debt Management for Public Finance Officers
- * Issuing Public Debt
- Human Resources
- Grants Reporting & Auditing
- Lawful Employment
- Cyber Security in the Public Sector
- Personal and Professional Well-being
- Responsibilities of the Treasurer (offered by the TAV)
- Delinquent Collections (offered by the TAV)
- Bankruptcy (offered by the TAV)
- Other classes offered by the VGFOA and approved by the Chairperson of the Education/Certification and Other Courses Committee
The Core Courses noted above with numbers in parenthesis may be waived upon passing the GFOA CPFO exam noted below with the corresponding number.
(1) GFOA Governmental Accounting, Auditing and Financial Reporting
(2) GFOA Cash Management and Investments
(3) GFOA Operating and Capital Budgeting
(4) GFOA Debt Management
(5) GFOA Pension and Benefits, Risk Management and Procurement
The Core Course Intermediate Governmental Accounting may be waived if you are a Certified Public Accountant.
Cost of the Program
- Membership dues
- Registration fee for the classes
Certificate Program Scholarship
Members of VGFOA may be eligible for a Certificate Program Scholarship. Learn more by clicking here.
Visit the Radford University Governmental and Nonprofit Assistance Center (GNAC) Website or contact Vilson Dushi by phone at (540) 831-5744 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.